Sunday, February 21, 2010

36. Woe be tide


Ive got a lot of ground to cover with this one.
You may have noticed that its more about the story than the bag sometimes, well I think Im going to have to use dot points for this beauty.
Lets start at the very beginning (a very good place to start)
Im at the Queer Screen short film festival thingy Awards @ Angel Place Recital Hall when it swims towards me, hooked over someones shoulder.
Is it a Carp or a very large Goldfish .... more importantly is it a handbag.
Yes, praise be!
This little lady thought "tonight Im going to carry the large, bright orange, lifelike (albeit unhappy looking) fish bag"
Thank you Jesus.
I got excited and fired up the Iphone. She was moving quickly and there was NO WAY I was going to miss this one, so I had to ask her.
Its a first ... I asked a complete stranger if I could photograph their handbag. It came as no surprise to her that I wanted a photo and she told me that her girlfriends name was Goldfish (we're not going to go there) and that was why she was carrying it (we're not going to go there)
Ha .... like she needed a reason.
Here comes the quandary part: What shoes do you wear with a bright orange goldfish handbag?
She chose blue.
Im not sure I agree with her choice of shoes, but then again I was still not quite sure about her choice of handbag, whose to say she shouldn't have attempted a pair of croc loafers (keeping with the aquatic theme) or even gone quirky with some orange Havaianas to compliment said fish bag ... this was a unique situation and called for an open mind.
She swam off into the crowd and we watched the short films.
Unfortunately I abandoned the dot point idea earlier and now I fear I may be rambling, but there is more meat in this sandwich if you stick with me.
After the show we all (I guess about 500 people) gathered in the foyer for champagne and things, it was absolutely bucketing down outside so we were all happily stuck quaffing free champagne and chatting.
Now the woe be tide part, the rain was so torrential that a wall of water came flooding down Angel place and washed through the front doors of the theatre.
Within minutes the whole foyer was 20cm deep in rain water, I rolled my jeans up and took my shoes off ... everyone did the same or headed for higher ground on the staircase.

It was magic.
Heaven.
We had 2 or 3 more drinks and enjoyed the floor show. I had all but forgotten the goldfish handbag at this time as we paddled and sipped our beverages amongst the watery chaos.
And, not unlike the song from the Lion King: The Circle of Life.
here ends the story.
Fish gotta swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment